Saturday January 1, 2021
– Balsamic Moon Phase – release, transform, healing, forgiveness, prepare for the new
– Moon in Sagittarius
– Retrograde Planets – Pluto, Neptune, Chiron, Venus
– Black Moon Day – Moon opposes the Black Moon – 12/31 – 1/2
– Best Days (from the Farmer’s Almanac) – December 30th – Cut Hair to Slow Growth, Quit Smoking, Start Diet to Lose Weight, Potty Train, Wean, Perform Demolition, Wash Windows, Wash Wooden Floors, Kill Plant Pests, Harvest, Mow to Slow Growth, Pick Apples and Pears, Castrate Farm Animals, Advertise to Sell, Buy a Car
– Planting Calendar (from the Farmer’s Almanac) – December 30th – 31st – Do no planting.
– Aspect of the Aeon Sophia: (Wisdom): Shodashi, The Goddess Who Fulfills Highest Desire.
– Aspect of the Aeon Thelete: (Will/Desire): Elias – God of the West, God of Transformation
– Sabian Symbol for the Solar-Lunar Month – New Moon in Sagittarius: “a widow’s past is brought to light” (& “a world-famous pianist giving a concert performance”)
– Sabian Symbol for the Solar-Lunar Year: –“A Woman in pastel colors carrying a heavy and valuable but veiled load”
SUN – 12 CAPRICORN: a student of nature lecturing, revealing little-known aspects of life
EARTH – 12 CANCER: a Chinese woman nursing a baby whose aura reveals him to be the reincarnation of a great teacher
Happy Gregorian New Year!
And what does that mean to you?
The day after you drank too much and watched fireworks at 12:00 AM last night?
The day to change the Gregorian Calendar on your wall?
A Day off? Maybe not because it is a Saturday, but there is usually a day off here somewhere.
Day to watch the Rose Parade and College Football?
However you celebrate this date on the calendar, my opinion is complicated. Living in both worlds, it does have some meaning. Let’s face it, in some way or another around the world, everyone celebrates it.
Who would know that this silly system blessed into existence by Pope Gregory XIII back in 1592 would still be followed today? It replaced and equally silly Calendar called the Julian Calendar (after Julius Caesar who put it together in 46 BC). It corrected something or other. And created others like Leap Year, the weekend and 28 days in February.
So in the one world, the 7.75 Billion people on this Big Blue Marble run their lives following the dates in this calendar. Last year I reached out to a number of my Facebook friends and asked about how people around the world viewed the Gregorian Calendar. My friend in Kazakhstan verified that the Russians and the Middle Easterners she knew very much followed Gregory. Also she introduced me to a Korean friend who said the same. I also communicated with a friend in India who said the same. The friend in Israel I talked to noted that she was aware of the Hebrew calendars, but it was only really followed by the Kabbalists (in her opinion). And when they were following it, the usually paid attention to both because it was important to pay attention
Then there is the Other World. The Natural world. The one that follows the Earth’s transit through the Zodiac. The Seasons. The Lunar phases. Plus other calendars like the Tzolkin and the I Ching.
Rockin in the Free World
Instead of making “Gregorian” New Year’s Resolutions, I am simply naming some of the things I will be doing in the new year.
I would love one day to have a Natural World calendar. I would love to see how it would work and how to follow it. No more 5 day work week and working for the weekend. But until someone dreams that up, I will continue with good pope Gregory’s datebook.
The specific one I will follow each day is the Farmer’s Almanac’s Gardening Calendar. It has a lot of good advice, the primary lunar phases and a lot of pretty drawings of plants and other gardening information.
And the other Good News is that for January, there is a pretty picture of a potted houseplant. For Christmas, I used my Home Depot cards on about 5 new house plants that are hanging and sitting all over the house now. They are filtering our air and making things feel more alive already.
I mentioned this idea a few weeks back. It is spreading out your food plants throughout your garden spaces and intermingled with the rest of the plants in your space. I got the “Foodscaping” book as a gift on Christmas and have been delving into it, looking for new ways to organize my yard. Should give me lots to write about.
I have been looking to redesign this site. And since it is WordPress, I can (have to) do it myself. In my perfect world, I feel like I need to separate my posts up. There will be a Daily Astrology report – designed to be more on time (at 7:00 AM in the morning). I feel that to be useful we need to get these things on time. Far too often, I hold them off all day because I am in the midst of writing the report of the day.
Having that daily astrology report was always my excuse to make myself write. I will just have to be a little more disciplined.
Pay attention. The changes may be subtle. They may not be however. I already started on this project and crashed my site for a good 10 minutes. I did not panic, though I wanted to. And I got is back up and running.
I will let everyone know to look it over and offer your thoughts.