Friday October 28, 2022
– Crescent Moon Phase – challenge, growth, struggle, expansion, gathering
– Moon in SAGITTARIUS –
– Retrograde Planets – Pluto, Neptune, Chiron, Jupiter, Uranus
– Best Days (from the Farmer’s Almanac) – Oct 27th – Potty Train, Wean, Wash Windows, Cut Firewood, Kill Plant Pests, Dig Holes, Mow to Increase Growth, Castrate Farm Animals, Advertise to Sell, Travel for Pleasure, Hatch Eggs
– Planting Calendar (from the Farmer’s Almanac) – Oct 27th – 28th – Do clearing and plowing, but no planting.
– Aspect of the Aeon Sophia: (Wisdom): – Kamala (Who Never Leaves Anyone Behind)
– Aspect of the Aeon Thelete: (Will/Desire): Elias– God of the West, God of Transformation
– Sabian Symbol for the Solar-Lunar Month – New Moon in Libra SUN: “ SUN – 03 SCORPIO: “neighbors help in a house raising party in a small village (& EARTH: 03 TAURUS: steps up to a lawn blooming with clover )
– Sabian Symbol for the Solar-Lunar Year: –“a flock of wild geese”
SUN – 05 SCORPIO: a massive rocky shore resists the pounding of the sea.
EARTH – 06 TAURUS: a bridge being built across a gorge
Nevada Day is a celebration of the Silver State’s admission as the 36th state on Oct. 31, 1864. Nevada Day is a legal holiday throughout the state but some of the most festive celebrations are in Carson City where a large parade has been held since 1938. Other events held to celebrate Nevada Day in Carson City may include a rock drilling contest, battle of bands, a beard contest, and various sporting events. Some people go on a tour of the governor’s mansion, while others take part in a Nevada Day pow-wow. There are also evening events such as concerts or balls.
Sorry. But this one is hillarious. When I was younger (about 8th grade) I joined a local marching band called the Cavaliers. I played drums. Not well, but it was fun. We participated in parades throughout the Los Angeles area. A couple times per year we would take weekend trips to small town celebrations. Some of those included Lompoc, CA, Bishop, CA anf Yucca Valley California.
All of them were like a “founders’ day.” People of the town try to remember the times of yesteryear. There is a parade, speeches by local political types. Maybe a fair or a carnival. I always thought the parades were fun. But I also recal my mother describing all of these little parades as “entertainment for poor people.” Took me many years to realize how cynical my mother was. At the same time, she wasn’t wrong. They were fun and exciting. And so long as you did not get pulled into the rides at the carnival, it was cheap entertainment. Especially when the town council would spring for fireworks.
But let’s face it. Before Burning Man and any night on the Sunset strip, Nevada Day was probably the one and only event that people would look forward to in Nevada. Unless you have been there before, you might not understand. Outside of Vegas, Nevada is pretty slow.
So hey. I’ll pop a Pabst for the holiday. Happy Nevada Day!