Tuesday October 27, 2020
– Gibbous Moon Phase – step out, take action, breaking away, expression
– Moon in Pisces – Void of Course 8:46 PM – 4:45 AM 10/28 – Moving to Aries
– Retrograde Planets: Neptune, Chiron, Uranus, Mars, Mercury
– Best Days (from the Farmer’s Almanac) – October 26th – 27th – Cut Firewood, Cut Hair to Increase Growth, Mow to Increase Growth, Castrate Farm Animals, Dig Holes, Wean, Potty Train, Wax Floors, Get Married, Start Diet to Gain Weight
– Gardening tips (from the Farmer’s Almanac) – October25th – 27th – Extra good for vine crops. Favorable days for planting aboveground crops where climate is suitable.
– Aspect of the Aeon Sophia: (Wisdom): Kali (The Destroyer of Time), Tara (Goddess who Guides Through Troubles) and Shodashi (Goddess who Fulfills our Highest Desire)
– Aspect of the Aeon Thelete: (Will/Desire): Elias, God of the West, God of Transformation
– Sabian Symbol for the Solar-Lunar Month – New Moon in Leo: “A third wing on the left side of a butterfly” (& An open window and a net curtain blowing into a cornucopia)
– Sabian Symbol for the Solar-Lunar Year: “A Triangle with Wings”
SUN: 5 SCORPIO: A massive rocky shore resists the pounding of the sea
EARTH: 5 TAURUS: A widow at an open grave
What is a logical fallacy?
Let me start by saying that I found this infographic on Facebook. I decided it needed to be spread far and wide. But the descriptions may just need a little more work – maybe a story or two.
And frankly, this was probably the most extensive listing of these fallacies that I have found. So here I go.
Logical fallacies are when false reasoning is used to make a point. Like saying 1 + 1 = 3 – because there are 3 figures before the equal sign. You read this piece of false bullshit and immediately say, that the person saying it is an idiot. But s I googled it, there are a number of mathematical proofs that can be used. They make massive assumptions that are not in the equation to justify themselves. but in the end, it is like chasing down a rabbit hole of someone else’s thought stream.
Logical fallacies are like tricks or illusions of thought. They are used by politicians, religious leaders, the media or other people to fool or influence people.
I am hypersensitive to these right now. It’s a week away from an extremely contentious election in the United States. I have heard so much bullshit and mud slung around, I think we could all use a little logical boost.
And what is worse, these people do not use just one piece of faulty logic. More often, they strew lines of bullshit with SO MANY fallacies that you do not know where to begin to dissect it.
So I would like to shed some light on them and kind of flush them out.
So with that, I am going to go through each of these over the next few days. Couple a day. And explore them. Consider who uses them. Find examples.
Strawman: Misrepresenting or exaggerating someone’s argument to make it easier to attack. And using that exaggeration against the person
This is a big one in politics today. In fact I like to dissect every political commercial that airs to find these. And both sides use it equally. The fact that the Democrats have been outspending republicans about 5-1 in Southeast Pennsylvania means that I have heard pretty much every policy related smear there is. They tend to go like this:
1 – My opponent voted for this or that piece of legislation.
2 – The world is going to end and we will all die because of it.
3 – My opponent is an evil messenger spawn of the Devil.
4 – Vote for me. I will not make that mistake and kill us all.
Slippery Slope – If A happens, then Z will happen too and therefore we must stop A from happening.
You find this fallacy is often used together with other logical fallacies (like the Strawman). It is pretty simple. A small thing happens. It sets off a chain reaction of worsening events. Until either everyone is dead, or the hero somehow saves them.
This is a difficult fallacy to overcome as it makes assumptions and then follows them toward what it considers a logical conclusion. BUT the question must be made about the ASSUMPTIONS! This is often where the slippery slope can be diverted.
These are a start. I will keep going tomorrow!